February 2017 Cambria County Health and Welfare Council Meeting Minutes
The regular monthly meeting of the Cambria County Health and Welfare Council was held on February 1, 2017 at 8:30am at the Alleghenies UCP.
Call to Order: Davina Bixby, President
The following members and guests signed in:
Katie Kovacic, Megan Eckenrode, Martha Faust, Linda Wess, Frank Reidelbach, Kirby Brugh, Sally McClintock, Sandy Domonkos, Kala Penrose, Jessica Pulliam-Petrunak, Tom Chernisky, Lois Schultz, Cindy DeBellis, Ronna Yablonski, Travis Hutzell, Chris Baughman, Richard Makdad, Becky Hendrickson, Annette Comiskey, Ron Robertson, Ingrid Kloss, Josh Yoder, Katelyn Clem, Davina Bixby, Bridget Hall
· Johnstown Backpack Project
o Chillin’ for Charityon February 11 (http://www.chillinforcharity.org/charities/)
o Beach Open House on Friday, February 17, 2017 from 2pm – 6pm at Beginnings, Inc. Office (111 Market Street, Downtown Johnstown)
o Northern Cambria Roll & Read Event on Saturday, March 11, 2017 from 10 am – 1 pm at Northern Cambria Elementary School
o CASA Basket Party on March 19th at Richland Fire Hall (http://beginningsinc.org/index.php?page=casa-basket-party)
· Tom Chernisky, County Commissioner
o Provided update on Act 152 – a $15 fee will be placed on any property transfer or house sold in Cambria County and the money will be put toward blight in the county
· American Red Cross
o Red Tie Gala on April 1st
· Nurse Family Partnership
o Openings for first time Mom’s up to 28 weeks pregnant. Tel: 1-814-942-1903
· Cambria County Drug Coalition
o Local police departments have been gifted Narcan in January (http://www.cambriacountydrugcoalition.org/)
· Girl Scouts
· Finance Report was shared by Katelynn Clem, Treasurer
· Davina Bixby reminded members to renew memberships. Membership forms were available at meeting and on website.
· Welcome to New Executive Officers
o First Vice President – Ingrid Kloss
o Secretary – Bridget Hall
· Davina Bixby announced a vacant spot on the CCHWC executive board. Katelynn Clem had to step down due to her new position. Anyone interested in Treasurer is asked to contact Davina at firstname.lastname@example.org. If more than one person is interested in a spot it will go to a vote to the membership.
· Davina Bixby informed everyone that at next month’s meeting we will discuss how members will be able to post announcements to the website.
Annette Cominsky, New Visions Chemical Dependency Program, introduced herself to the membership. Annette explained that addiction is a disease because it changes the structure and function of the brain and it is chronic, progressive and fatal. Annette explained how drugs mimic neurotransmitters in the brain. She also encouraged treatment of the whole person. New Visions is an outpatient program that treats individuals 14 and older.
Next Month’s Meeting – Wednesdays March 1st, 2017
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 by Davina Bixby, President.
Cambria County Health and Welfare Council Secretary